Custom IR Optical Films
Optodot’s infrared (IR) optical materials have a variety of features that are desirable in multiple markets, ranging from Security Marking (security / identification, anti-counterfeiting / authentication, and financial transaction cards), to premium Energy-Conserving Window Film, to Optical Communications, and beyond. Optodot’s IR optical films block/reflect 95% of the infrared spectrum despite their low visible color. Another feature is the excellent stability of our IR material to light and heat. Optodot has the ability to custom design IR optical films for a variety of applications requiring one or more of the following properties:
- IR blocking ranging from 30% to 99% across a wide optical band of 800 to 1450 nm
- High visual transparency and low visible color
- Low-power IR laser digital imaging capabilities for machine-readable markings, including dual laser-imaged marking with a vesicular (bubble) image that is readable in the visible and an IR image that is readable in the IR (U.S. Patent No. 9,266,373 to Optodot).
Optodot has worked with companies of all sizes — from small to Fortune 100 — to design and commercialize custom infrared coatings for specific applications and markets. To find out how our IR optical films can meet your custom needs, please contact us.
Secure Infrared Encodings
As crime, fraud, and terrorism become a growing international concern, it is important to adopt new security features that will make it impossible to engage in illegal activity with false documents. Optodot has developed an invisible infrared coating that can be integrated into various applications to provide authentication solutions. Our infrared coated films and laminates offer covert and forensic security in virtually any industry requiring asset security or product/document authentication.
This infrared (IR) optical coating and laser writing technology creates unique security markings that are machine-readable by existing IR scanners and provide instant authentication, eliminating human error. These novel security markings can be incorporated into ID cards, paper documents, retail tags, and other documents by a variety of coating and laminating methods.
To find out how our security marking products can meet your security needs, please contact Ben Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Solar Control Window Film
Optodot’s infrared optical coatings were developed and patented for use in high-performance solar control window films. Key properties of these materials in window films include:
- High visual transparency
- Blockage of at least 80% of the sun’s infrared heat
- Non-metallic appearance with low visual reflectance and high infrared reflectance
- Excellent stability when exposed to sunlight and heat
This technology is based on crystalline infrared semiconductor materials with a very high index of refraction. The switching involves a change in the reflectance or the index of refraction of the switch element, has switching speeds faster than 0.1 nanoseconds, and requires as little as 30 picojoules of energy per 1 micron spot.
This technology includes:
- Optical switches: optical switch fabrics capable of switching multiple input signals into multiple output signals
- Optical buffers: buffers that use optical switches to delay transmission of signals to avoid undesirable data contention
- Modulators: photon-activated or electric current-activated modulators that operate by various mechanisms, including interferometric and changes in reflection
- Photodetectors: detect photons in a broad, near-infrared wavelength range
Advantages of our optical components include:
- Extremely small size – a thickness of only about 100 nm or 0.1 microns is needed for the active layer of crystalline material for sub-wavelength-size (less than 1.5 microns) components
- Ease of fabrication – the crystals are easily prepared and can be readily laser imaged to the desired active size and shape
This optical chip technology is covered by 6 U.S. patents. To find out more, please contact Steve Carlson at email@example.com.